skip to Main Content

Complaints about poor service should be directed to us or, if we fail to settle them with you, to the Legal Ombudsman.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, or breaching your right to be treated equally and not be discriminated against or other breach of professional conduct or SRA principle.

Visit their website to see how you can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Back To Top